PGP backdoor? (No, I'm not paranoid.)

I was recently speaking with a newly-made aquaintence, and we were
discussing the merits of various encryption systems.  Now, I had heard
about all the people who claimed the reason versions later than 2.3
wouldn't work with 2.3 was because of a backdoor for the government.  I
personally thought they were being paranoid.  However, this guy tells me
that he met Phil at defcon and phil told him that he co-operated with
the government and gave them information that would enable them to crack
key's for versions later than 2.3.   I don't know whether to believe him
or not, as I said earlier he is not a long-time friend or anything, so he
could just be lying to me.  If anyone has any information on this I would
appreciate it.

---
"Man did not enter into society to become
 worse than he was before, nor to have
 fewer rights than he had before, but
 to have those rights better secured."
             --- Thomas Paine 1791