Re: Truelly Random Numbers

At 1:55 PM 3/5/96, Tim Fulbright wrote:
>Now I, a lurker for two months, am truelly confused!  L. Deitweiler must be
>right.   Surely one of you cyperpunk fellows could hack together a dongle with
>some kind of AD converter and buffer ram to gather a Truelly Random Bitstream
>off the environment every couple of milliseconds easier than this raindrop
>scheme or recording the fan, you're haviung me on!.  Let's go back fifty  years
>and get a  vacuum tube to  fitfully flicker?  I who know next to nothing about
>electronics suspect  there is surely enough noise present in electornic devices
>to gather a random bitstream that you could chop anywya you needed? Anyway,  y

Just because someone floats their idea does not mean it is the "list
consensus"! That "raindrops falling on my plate" idea was something I
deleted as soon as I saw that it wasn't a joke with a nice punchline. (Not
all flaky ideas get rebutted...though, as a matter of fact, I did see
several quick rebuttals of the raindrop idea as being impractical, too low
a data rate, etc.)

Johnson noise in semiconductors and alpha particle noise have indeed been
discussed _many_ times. Check the archives, or my Cyphernomicon FAQ.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!