Re: Truelly Random Numbers

At 11:07 AM 3/3/96 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>In order to use this information, one would need to determine
>the number of primes in the vicinity of a potential prime factor.
>This costs more than actually checking for the factor, hence is
>not useful.

The discussion has been about probability of collisions,
rather than usable exploits - they're still rare enough that
it's a birthday-problem issue.

While you're more likely to pick a specific prime with a
large gap before it than one with a small gap before it,
there are a lot more small gaps than large ones,
assuming that primes are roughly uniformly distributed
within any given range (which is roughly true) and
that therefore the gaps are geometrically distributed.

I worked an example for random 384-bit primes, which you'd
use to generate 768-bit RSA keys.  The density of primes
is approximately 1/ln384 = 1/266 = 1/meanlength.
The unweighted quartile gap lengths are 77, 186, and 372.
The weighted quartiles for the gaps are 255, 447, and 720 ;
these correspond to unweighted cdfs of 61%, 81%, and 93%.

So, yes, it's a bit skewed (and enough that I'd rather not
work the birthday problem math, which is far easier with uniforms :-)
But it's probably not skewed enough to affect the number of
primes required for a collision to occur by more than a factor
of 100 or so, and collisions in RSA keys require collisions in
both primes.