Re:LACC: PC Phones Home? -Reply

 Jim Writes
>A few questions:
>1- How does the PC know where it is?
>2- How does the PC know it has been stolen?
...deleted text...
> #1 is the use of CallerID on the line when the software calls,
>which is defeated by the use of line blocking by the thief.  The
...deleted text...
>Obvious solution for potential thieves: wipe the disks and reinstall
>an OS once you steal a PC.  This should be done anyway to remove any
>bits of data which might identify the original owner.
>Conclusion:  Yet another useless piece of software riding the
>computer security bandwagon.
>jim

You should visit their web site at http://absolute.com for more
information as they can do what they say they can.

A high level format does not change bad track assignments and neither
will fdisk so if you hide something in an assigned bad track
(cylinder or cluster or whatever it is called) nothing will see it.
Now all you have to do is activiate the software in the bad track, I
don't know how that is done (trade secret??) but maybe someone has
figured out how to do it.

Calls to 1-800 numbers can not block caller-ID, call-blocking will
not stop the calling number from being passed to the appropriate
equipment setup at the receiving end.

Maybe these people have developed the ultimate virus, you can't
detect it, you can't remove it, and you don't know it even exists.

I don't really know how well this software package works but your
comments had many errors.

Normally Lurking

Raymond