Re: protection on IoMega ZIP drives

At 02:47 AM 3/24/96 -0500, Robert A. Rosenberg wrote:
>At 2:45 3/23/96, Alan Olsen wrote:
>
>>The big problem is with the zip drivers.  There is some sort of
>>incompatibility between SFS and the zip drivers.
[snip]

>I can state that with a Zip Disk formatted for Macintosh use (and the drive
>plugged into a Macintosh), the drive and disk are seen by the Macintosh as
>a NORMAL SCSI HD and eligible for use as a Boot Drive (ie: There is a Mac
>Driver on the Disk in a SCSI Driver Partition). I've Booted from a ZIP Disk
>so this is actual not just theoretical <g>. I'd assume that if a Wintel
>Machine had the Microcode to be able to boot off an external SCSI Drive
>(something I do not know is normal for Wintel machines as it is normal for
>Macintosh ones) the same situation would exist for Wintel Zip Formatted
>Disks. All NORMAL SCSI HDs (or Cartridges) have their driver in a Driver
>Partition so the HD/Cartridge can be read.

The SCSI Zip drives do act as normal SCSI drives (though they have a limited
number of SCSI ids available. (5 & 6 if I remember correctly.) Later drives
may have this changed.)

The problems i am encountering are due to the _parellel_ version of the Zip
drive.  (I bought it because I needed to be able to visit customer sites and
not all of them have SCSI.)  The drivers fake a scsi port.  (Some laptops
use a similar driver to attach hard drives to non-scsi systems.)

Maybe I will just get a Jaz drive and not worry about it...

---
Alan Olsen -- [email protected] -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l [email protected]` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon