Re: Crypto CD

At 01:52 AM 3/24/96 -0500, Ben Holiday wrote:

>I would plan to put unix/dos/mac all on one CD. I'm thinking that
>realistically I can expect 50 megs or so. Possibly as much as 100 if I
>find a TON of wonderful text.

If you include the archives of this list, the main forign archives, and the
various sources in the US, you will EASILY exceed 100 megs.  (More like
200.)  If you seperate out all the duplications, you might squeeze under the
100 megs mark.

>Could be useful to individuals, as well as for groups wishing to create
>FTP sites etc.

It would be a nice thing to have if it is reletivly complete.  Hopefully it
can be created with a minimum of government interfearence.  (But then, I
have been xpecting alt.binaries.crypto to be created as well...)

>Pricing with shipping would wind up around US$20.00, give or take 5 dollars..

Sounds about right.  You will probibly need to run about 1000 or so.
Actually, the prices for CDs in bulk are pretty cheap.  (Just expensive up
front.)  Depends how much premastering you are able to do up front.  (If you
need information and/or contacts to get mastering done, send me private
e-mail.  I used to work for a CD-ROM company.)

>I'd like to know first off whether such a thing already exists.

Not that I know of...  I have seen a few of the "Hacker" discs with crypto
code on it, but nothing complex (other than ancient versions of PGP) and you
have to wade though alot of crap to get to it.

>Secondly
>whether anyone would be interested in possesing such a thing. And lastly
>any suggestions for/about content that I may have missed..

Archives of the PGP key database, the archive at hacktic.nl,
ftp.dsi.unimi.it, ftp.informatik.uni-hamburg.de, and probibly a few other
archives would be useful.  An index/search engine would also be helpful.
---
Alan Olsen -- [email protected] -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l [email protected]` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon