Electronic locksmiths are watching you (Belgium's ban on PGP)

This seems like an interesting glimpse into the future of crypto banning
around the world. France's ban on unapproved crypto has been
well-publicized, but I hadn't heard until this message that Belgium has
joined in.

The reference to Belgium's wiretap law and "But little-known sections of
the law state that  all cryptograhic systems aimed at protecting privacy
must not block these wiretaps" suggests that we ought to look _very_
closely at our own Wiretap Act (aka Digital Telephony) for similar
language.

(Many of us thought at the time DT was being debated--both weeks of the
public debate--and then when it was passed that things would get real
interesting when the "central office wiretappability" vanished with
end-to-end encryption. Louis Freeh even said as much, that the issue of
end-to-end encryption would have to be addressed once the Digital
Telephony Act was passed.)

With Internet phone systems (various) and easy integration of PGP, a la
PGPhone, even the Little Italy businessmen may start to use encryption.
Likewise, there are currently no laws (that I am aware of) forbidding
encrypted telephones--indeed, the Clipper phones were just this, and they
were available for general purchase. Granted, the gubment knew the
algorithm and there _may_ (emphasis on the "may") have been backdoors
allowing easy wiretapping. But there was no key escrow per se.

So, when the $500 M to make digital switches "compliant" with DT is spent
(and bear in mind it hasn't been allocated yet by Congress, to the best of
my knowledge), and yet some future John Gotti is untappable because he's
using Eric Blossom's crypto phone, what then?

Anyway, here's the item about Belgium's law: