Re: Protocols at the Point of a Gun

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Christopher J. Shaulis wrote:

> In the future, you will have to sign all packets (with a key
> conveniently available from verisign and noone else).

No - the company that will bring it to you: AT&T :)

Seriously - putting this sort of stuff at the IP layer is not doable;
confidentiality and encryption, at least on a host-to-host basis is
sensible (we know a protocol about that, don't we children)

Application AND user level authentication doesn't fit so well below the
application level.

Simon
p.s.

Am I the only one to find it really wierd that the Unabomber had a
pen-pal? Guess they don't last long..

 ---
They say in  online country             So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way                  Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man           Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA                   Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO