Re: RSA-130 Falls to NFS - Lenstra Posting to sci.crypt.research

[email protected] (Mike Duvos) writes:
>one?  Also, a ballpark guess of how this result extrapolates to
>the MIPS years required to factor a 512 bit PGP key would
>probably be of interest to all.

I don't have a good guess for this, but Arjen did say that the cost to
break RSA-130 was a fraction of what it cost to break RSA-129 because
of the improved algorithm, so I'd guess we'll find out soon.  The next
target of the consortium is planned to be RSA-155, I believe, which is
above 512 bits; that means skipping RSA-140 to go for the one with the
higher psychological value.  While 512-bit PGP keys are interesting to
Cypherpunks, other 512-bit RSA keys are vitally important to some banks.

	Jim Gillogly
	Trewesday, 25 Astron S.R. 1996, 07:50