Old Trojan news [Re: Trojan Horse Loose On The Internet]

[email protected] (Ramli Bin Jaafar) writes:
>According to several reliable sources there is a deadly virus on the
>Internet.  This is NOT a hoax!
>CAN ANYBODY CHECK THIS OUT, PLEASE..

>Note: The reliability of all information below is UNKNOWN.

Uhh -- then perhaps you should check it out before doing the alarmist
number.  Appropriate places are the VIRUS-L mailing list or comp.virus...
or the VIRUSPUNKS list, if you can find the right majordomo.

>WHAT:
>Virus Alert:  PKZIP 3.0 Trojan Loose on the Internet

This trojan was constructed a couple of years ago, and the warning report
goes around every few months; we're currently in the middle of another
resurgence.  It's like the Good Times Virus, except that there really is
a trojanized PKZIP... but I haven't seen a confirmed sighting of it or
a report of somebody actually being bitten for many yonks now.

There are plenty of current and active viruses and trojan horses, and some
crypto relevance with some of them (e.g. KOH and encrypting viruses)... but
this isn't one of them.

	Jim Gillogly
	Trewesday, 25 Astron S.R. 1996, 15:13