Re: java security

> >A couple of glitches I've gotten from Javascripts are poorly
> >(purposely?) written applets that crash. One kept printing a modal
> >dialog box continuously, the result being a need to reboot the
> >computer because there was no way to exit Netscape or Windows.
>
> I can confirm this. Under Win95, I have seen applets that keep running
> after the browswer instance that loaded has been closed. Even run over
> other applications windows, leaving aninmated artifacts on the screen.
> Sometimes only the power switch will do. I thought that the applets weren't
> supposed to be able to wander out of their memory space...

	Applets (let alone javascript) should have no way to exist
once you kill the Netscape that is running the Java interpreter.  It
is possible for applets to keep running in their own thread even after
you've left the page they're loaded from, but once you kill the
browser the VM should get shut down (the whole browser, not just a
particular window).  I can't think of any way that an applet could
keep going once the VM stops.

	As for the original dialog thing, couldn't you C-A-Del it
to get the task window up and then shutdown the offending NS task?

---
Fletch                                                     __`'/|
[email protected]  "Lisa, in this house we obey the       \ o.O'    ______
404 713-0414(w)      Laws of Thermodynamics!" H. Simpson   =(___)= -| Ack. |
404 315-7264(h) PGP Print: 8D8736A8FC59B2E6 8E675B341E378E43  U      ------