Re: Guardian angels, anonymity, and the decency brigade

Thanks, Colin, for replying. I'm glad to learn that you made no legal
threats against Jim's CuD. I understand that SafeSurf does not make
sofware; I meant that a PICS/SafeSurf-compliant browser is necessary
to read and act on such ratings.

A few months ago, I went through the back archives of the
fight-censorship list and looked for possibly "indecent" material. I
found relatively few examples of this language, and all of them had
clearly socially redeeming value, like the American Reporter's rather
heated essay. The alt.sex.pedophilia story I cited was circulated
among the anti-porn groups who fought for the CDA; in context, it was
perfectly appropriate for us to discuss here. Further, I believe quite
strongly that minors should be allowed and encouraged to participate
in discussions on this list -- overbroad net-censorship affects them
as well as adults.

Yet you write: "Clearly a site with a message like this would not be
suitable for children to read."

What if I rate <http://fight-censorship.dementia.org/top/> as suitable
for children, and a CyberAngel volunteer visits and stumbles onto that
alt.sex.pedophilia story. Will my rating be yanked? This is what
bothers me -- the undocumented, arbitrary, and capricious nature of
ratings by the CyberAngels volunteer decency brigade.

I support your right to censor my web site, but I don't have to like it.

-Declan (who still wants to be a CyberSeraphim)

                       [Another reply attached]