Re: The Joy of Java

> The first "killer applet" (tm) will be what?
>
> (There's a fair chance it could be a digital commerce applet, something to
> exploit correctly the pent-up demand for online purchases....I can imagine
> folks on this very list becoming the Scott Cook's of this market....)

I'll bet the first one will be a mailer that communicates with a central
mail server.  There's a need for people who don't know how to telnet to
have handy access to their mail from both home and work.

Some of the work that's being done with pgp compatible java applets is
very exciting -- I expect that the general public will get its first taste
of secure email from java applets doled up by ssl servers.

It would be really great if a gui and and some crypto guts could be
reused for both a java pop client and an applet that could talk to a
central mail server.