RE: Mindshare and Java

> I agree that the major innovation, and cypherpunk opportunity, of Java is
> in its cross-platform nature, not its vaunted ability to run untrusted
> code safely. I'm sorry, I'm just not interested in running untrusted code.
> Give me digitally signed code that I can trust, or for which the author
> can at least be held accountable, and I'll be happy.

Absolutely!

> As cool as many of the people on the Java team are, though, I am dubious
> that Java is going to live up to the hype. It is still not clear to me
> that Microsoft is going to support it seriously in their browser, which by
> mid-1997 will be so tightly integrated with the lowest-common-denominator
> operating system that there will be no room for Netscape.

There was an official announcement at their Professional Developers Conference
a few weeks back.  In short, full support in the browsers (and apparently MS
is now the keeper of the reference implementation on Win32) and also
a full blown Java development environment code-named 'Jakarta'.

-Blake