RE: Mindshare and Java

On Thu, 25 Apr 1996, Blake Coverett wrote:

> There was an official announcement at their Professional Developers
> Conference a few weeks back.  In short, full support in the browsers
> (and apparently MS is now the keeper of the reference implementation on
> Win32) and also a full blown Java development environment code-named
> 'Jakarta'.

Yes, I had the misfortune to post that skeptical bit at precisely the same
moment that the public press releases were proving me wrong :-(

My source at the PDC indicated that Microsoft was still pushing Visual
Basic, but I'll accept that there's been a change...

Still, integrating Java and Internet browsing into the OS does not bode
well for Netscape.

-rich