Re: [Linux] Unix plugins for Netscape (Was: Calling other code in Java applications and applets)

At 10:45 AM 5/2/96 -0700, Ian Goldberg wrote:

>I'd venture a guess that most people who have a Linux box sufficiently cool
>to run netscape at all, have the ability to run ELF.  In fact, there are
>probably a lot of people (like everyone who bought Slackware 3.0 or a recent
>RedHat) for which netscape is the _only_ a.out binary on their system.

In order to run any of the recient kernels you HAVE to be running ELF.  (Or
have your copy of GCC upgraded to 2.7.0 or higher.)  The docs make no
mention of it, but it barfs on the make if you do not have it.  (There are
three flags that are not supported under the old versions of GCC.)

>   - Ian "Add me to the 'Make an ELF Linux binary!!!' list..."

Are they keeping a list?  As for Linux, last I heard it was still on the
semi-supported list.  (The dropping of BSD on the fasttrack server pisses me
off as well, but that is another matter...)  I would like to get a version
of the Linux binary that supports 128 bit SSL. (As well as the ELF binaries.)
---
Alan Olsen -- [email protected] -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l [email protected]` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon