RE: self-ratings vs. market ratings

>From: 	Vladimir Z. Nuri (in response to Tim May)
>
>hmmmmmmmm, I seem to recall earlier letters in which you advocated
>a market-type rating system in which services could rate things,
>in the way that stocks are now rated, doctors/lawyers
>could be rated, etc.-- let a thousand ratings services bloom.
>(or maybe we were talking about reputations. in my mind, they are
>mostly interchangeable--hence my interest in "rating" systems).

In consideration of the difference between "ratings" and "reputation":

I think of a rating as something which is attached to something
"pre-knowledge", whereas a reputation is something which develops over
time & based upon informed knowledge ("after-knowledge").

A rating is applied to something (a service or whatever) by only those
few individuals who are acquainted with what they are rating.

A reputation is accumulated by the impressions made upon larger numbers
of individuals - a general population not necessarily employed to
collect these impressions - but who have nevertheless sufficient
exposure to and acquaintanceship with the person/service/etc. to make an
informed conclusion about it.

A rating can make a statement on what something "is" or is expected to
be (eg, general in content vs explicitly sexual), where a reputation
reflects on past behavior.

    ..
Blanc