Re: Remailer in a box

E. ALLEN SMITH writes:
 > 	I see your difficulty. It is an additional one with respect to
 > anonymous accounts. Hmm... you could put the burden on other ISPs by only
 > having anonymous accounts via telnet access - and not accepting such from
 > k12.edu domains. Bit of a limit, though.

1) New .edu registrations are restricted to colleges, but you have
   rogues like sidwell.edu (Chelsea's Quaker school), plus the odd
   17-year-old attending college like I did.

2) .k12.STATE.us is safe enough to restrict, except that some people
   are staff members who will be unhappy.  Of course, those people can
   just change their DNS so it responds to a PTR request with
   a.root-servers.net.  So naturally you don't let the students manage
   your servers (although frankly, the staff members have little time
   or knowledge to do it themselve; most would be happy to find a
   trustworthy student).  Even so, said smart student will discover
   that it's possible to spoof the DNS by spamming a client with
   will likely be the same subnet that the smart student.

You can't use the DNS for authentication of any type, particularly if
a Damoclean CDA is hanging over your head.

-russ <[email protected]>    http://www.crynwr.com/~nelson
Crynwr Software   | Crynwr Software sells packet driver support | PGP ok
11 Grant St.      | +1 315 268 1925 voice | It's no mistake to err on
Potsdam, NY 13676 | +1 315 268 9201 FAX   | the side of freedom.