Re: Why the Poor are Mostly Deserving of their Fate

At 10:32 PM 5/18/96, Sean Gabb wrote:
>On Sat, 18 May 1996, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>
>> It was understandable to be poor when all the world was poor.  It is
>> understandable to be poor in those nations today that make the
>> accumulation of wealth a crime for most people.  It is not understandable
>> to be poor (for long) in the US where one can reliably get out of poverty
>> simply by doing three simple things:
>>
>> 1) get a high school diploma
>> 2) get married
>> 3) get any job
>>
>> Only about 2 tenths of 1% of those who satisfy those three requirements
>> incomes below the official poverty line.

>I've done all these things - and rather more in the way of education.  But
>while I don't fall on or near the poverty line, I'm still poor as a church
>mouse.  What am I doing wrong?

* Point Number One: Sean Gabb <[email protected]>
                                                ^^
* Point Number Two:"...not understandable to be poor (for long) in the US"
                                                                       ^^
Q.E.D.

Actually, I think Duncan's "high school + marriage + any job" point is a
bit simplistic, and I'm surprised about the ".02%" estimate. As someone
else noted, there are a lot of folks in the rural South, Appalachia, and
other places, who graduated from high school, are still married, and have
some sort of job, and yet who make $6-8 an hour or less.

I think more is needed. I would have added "savings/investment" and "hard work."

Those who can force themselves to set money aside for investment get the
compounded returns later on. And of course hard work--including taking a
second job, having the extended family work, etc.--is also key.

(Many immigrant Asians arrive penniless in the U.S., then get help from
immigrant Asian who arrived earlier, live in crowded houses and apartments,
have 4-6 wage-earners in a household, save as much as they can, and then
open a small business. Success is almost inevitable. Hence the cycle
continues. This tradition of the various Asian subcultures is almost
completely lacking in certain other subcultures in America. More's the
pity.)

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!