Re: Long-Lived Remailers

At 3:00 PM 5/21/96, Rev. Mark Grant, ULC wrote:
>On Tue, 21 May 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:
>
>> Traffic analysis will be quite easy to do, of course, as all mail sent to
>> the persistent address comes out of the "[email protected]" address.
>> Q.E.D.
>
>Yeah, but the attack model I was assuming was lawyers rather than
>intelligence agencies. The NSA could probably easily link the two
>together, but the Church of Foobar(tm) probably couldn't. They'd only have
>access to the logs on the ISP and the information you gave when you signed
>up, not the raw packets on the Net.

The traffic analysis on this fixed mapping system needs no access to
packets and is childishly simple.

Let's call the first site "Alice" and the emanation site "Bob."

That is, all messages sent to the persistent site Alice appear to come from
the site Bob.

The Church of Clams can simply send messages addressed to themselves
through the Alice remailer and see immediately that they appear to come
from Bob.

Q.E.D.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!