Re: Remailer extensions

At 09:17 AM 5/21/96 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
>In pondering the last few days of discussion it occurs to me that a test
>might be possible. In short:
>
>Is it legal for a business to anonymously remail physical mail?
>
>The process I propose is as follows:
>
>1.   Some party mails an envelope to 'Remailers-R-Us'.
>
>2.   Inside that envelope is the real mail addressed and stamped along
>     with say a $1 money order for processing.
>
>3.   The people at Remailers-R-Us simply take the dollar and deposit it
>     in the bank while depositing the letter they received in the local
>     mail drop.

I can't say whether this is "legal" (it probably is) but I believe that this
was a fairly common practice in the 1960's in the US, when people were
dodging the draft, running away from home to join a commune, etc.  Such
services were advertised in various magazines, and operated on the
principles you described.

Jim Bell
[email protected]