Re: Internet traffic is monitored.

At 11:37 AM 5/29/96 +0200, Anonymous wrote:
>Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 10:03:11 -0700
>To: [email protected], Return requested <[email protected]>
>From: Bill Stout <[email protected]>
>Subject: Re: Encryption Technology
>Sender: [email protected]
>

>Extrapolations of fact:
>   1.   Internet traffic is monitored.
>   2.   The ability to snoop for encrypted traffic is present
>   3.   The ability to identify encryption levels is present
>        (How else can they differentiate DES-1 from DES-3?)
>   4.   The ability to crack DES-1 in near real-time mode is present.
>        (See above).
>   5.   If above=true, then Feds dropping the Zimmerman PGP case probably
>        also points to it also being crackable in a similar manner.
>Bill

I think the Feds non-prosecution of Zimmermann had absolutely nothing to do
with the crackability/non-crackability of PGP.  They just had an extremely
weak case:  They probably had no way to demonstrate that any particular
person exported PGP, which means that prosecuting Zimmermann would have
looked like sour grapes.  (or, in the alternative, if they had records to
show that PGP was exported, they might not have wanted to reveal the extent
of their Internet monitoring.)

Jim Bell
[email protected]