The decline and fall of Australia

Just in case people on this list were under any delusions that Australia
part of the free world get a load of this...

**begin press release**

                       Hon. J.W. Shaw, QC, MLC
         Attorney-General and Minister for Industrial Relations
Level 20, Goodsell Building,                    Facsimile  (02) 228 7301
Chifley Square, Sydney NSW 2000                 Telephone  (02) 228 8188

 PAEDOPHILIA SHOULD NOT BE ENCOURAGED BY THE INTERNET

The Attorney General Mr Jeff Shaw, QC, MLC, today explained the draft
internet regulation legislation to members of the internet community who
had apparently misunderstood the plans.

"Despite their protests, those who support total freedom on the internet
have yet to explain to me why material involving paedophilia should be
readily available and encouraged on the internet", he said.

"Those who assert that the proposals are a knee jerk reaction are
completely wrong and appear to have been totally uninterested in the issue
until very recently.  For on 7 July 1995, a consultation paper on internet
regulation was released both on the World Wide Web and in paper form.

"That 'Consultation paper on the Regulation of On-Line Information
Services,' has now been available from the Federal Attorney General's
Department for almost a year.

"When it was released, submissions were requested, and 121 submissions
were received by the closing date of 1 September 1995.

"Following unanimous endorsement of the proposals by all Attorney's
General, the NSW Parliamentary Counsel drafted legislation based on the
discussion paper and the consultation process.  This legislation will be
discussed by the Standing Committee of Attorney's General in July.

"Those protesting about the proposed offences and penalties are
conveniently ignoring half the story - the fact that the draft legislation
creates broad defences that encourage compliance with approved codes of
practice or the taking of reasonable steps to ensure the proscribed
behaviour does not occur.

"Why should a Government not prosecute a service provider who supplies the
Internet to schools, yet refuses to install appropriate firewalls to
screen out material involving explicit sex and violence or child sexual
abuse?

"The broad defences recognise, as I do, the impossibility of monitoring
all data that goes through service providers systems, but encourage
providers to maintain maximum awareness, not maximum ignorance, about the
material disseminated.

"Criminal sanctions are only aimed at operators and users who culpably
breach the standards that are set out regarding material that they transmit
or advertise, or those who fail or refuse to exercise any effective
controls over material that is publicly available through their information
services.

"For example, people who have objectionable material placed on their
bulletin board without their knowledge could argue that they are not liable
as they had obtained undertakings from users that certain types of material
would not be posted or posted inappropriately.  They may also be able to
demonstrate that they had conducted random checks of material available
through their information service.

"I do not believe that the community condones the easy availability of
material encouraging paedophilia and other sexual abuse.  The impossibility
of absolute regulation does not justify a complete failure to do what we
can to meet reasonable concerns.

"I would hope that organisations like the Electronic Frontiers Association
are interested in assisting the State and Federal Governments formulate
workable proposals that will protect children while allowing adults
freedom of expression on the internet.  If they in fact are, detailed
proposals about how this could be best achieved would be useful."

**end**

As to that last para I think u could read..."cos we have no bloody idea
what we are doing or how to achieve this all on our lil lonesomes"

Thank the gods for cypherpunks..