Noise: Re: Those Evil Republicans

Duncan Frissell wrote:

> "They believe that the Government is the problem and that what everyone
> needs is to be told, 'You're on your own; go out there into the tender
> mercies of the global economy; have a great time in cyberspace, and we'll
> get out of your way.'" -- William Jefferson Blythe Clinton in a speech to
> the AFSCME in Chicago on Friday.

> I guess he doesn't want us to have fun in cyberspace -- though he didn't say
> so directly.

If you had heard the whole speech rather than only the portion reported on CNN
you would know that you have entirely distored the meaning. The point being
made was that cyberspace is being promoted as a panacea for all ills, many of
which it is creating rather than curing. Cyberspace is not a replacement for an
ecconomic policy, Newts idea of giving laptops to homeless people is not a
solution for poverty. Actually I think that this is quite obvious from the
quote you give.

Given the experience of derregulating Savings and Loans institutions I don't
think the country could survive another round of deregulation. As Reagan said
"Gentlemen we've hit the jackpot" - and of course they had, S&L was not a
fiasco for certain people, just for the poor taxpayers.

> In the same speech in which he talked about people hunting ducks with rifles.

Damned unsporting eh? Isn't the NRA weapon of choice a surface to air missile?

		Phill