Re: Noise: Re: Those Evil Republicans

>I read the reporting and excerpts in the Saturday Times.

The Times is a Rupert Murdoch paper and so the views you find tend to be those
of Rupert Murdoch - the man who gave Newt a $3million bribe (oops advance
payment).

>I wasn't aware of any ills being created by cyberspace.  For one thing, it
>hasn't been around (as a big thing) long enough.

It probably dosen't affect you but there have been losers, mainly people loosing
their jobs in the banking, insurance and other sectors where administrative
staff are being replaced by computer. Now in the long run this is a good thing,
but in the short run it is bad for the people concerned.

> The only impact it has had
>so far is to reduce TV watching and improve writing ability (from a very low
>base level) among its heavy users.  That's a good thing.  Any effects of
>disintermediation or shrinking of institutions (governments and
>corporations) as we discuss on this list haven't really happened yet.

Actually shrinking of government is happening but not because of the net. We are
currently seeing the effect of the first wave of PC technology. The federal
government has been drastically cut in size but mainly through outsourcing and
contracting, not through reduction in functions performed.

The main limitations are social, not technological. Like many large
organisations the government has an ossified beauracracy. There is a very strong
disincentive against making any changes. The reward for inovation is likely to
be blame for whatever bad things happen without any credit for anything good
that happens. Plus you could find yourself in front of a congressional kangeroo
court being charged with some partisan charge or other.

Disintermediation is something that is happening, you could go to the Whitehouse
site and obtain the "official" press release direct from the source.

>Yes the great inventor of deposit insurance FDR has a lot to answer for.
>But for his intervention, we taxpayers wouldn't have owed a dime for the S&L
>collapse.

Remember why FDR invented deposit insurance? The worst depression in modern
history was caused by the lack of deposit insurance. You have the option of
investing in a bank that is not insured, there were no problems with the
insurance scheme so long as the insurers were allowed to regulate their risk
just like any other insurer does. The problem came when Reagan and his crew "hit
the jackpot".

>>Damned unsporting eh? Isn't the NRA weapon of choice a surface to air missile?
>
>The NRA suggests shotguns.  A rifle is much more sporting than a shotgun for
>assassinating quackers.  Hard to hit them with rifles (even harder with SAMs).

Well if you are a bad shot you probably need to use a shotgun. But think of the
advantages of using a steel bullet - no lead poisoning problems!

	Phill