Re: Word lists for passphrases

[email protected] writes:
>  > > I have a util that will create a word list starting from
>  > > aaaaaaaaaaa on up to anythingggggggg basically you could do every
>  > > combination. Let me know if ya want it.
>  >
>  > That would really be of great use for doing wordlist crack runs. It
>  > must have taken you a long time to write -- generous of you to offer
>  > it.
>
>  I want to apologize to everyone for being gratuitously nasty
>  here. It wasn't called for.
>
> Thats funny. I thought you were being completely serious and I sent you this
> file. You are exactly right. it is of GREAT use for doing wordlist crack
> runs.

If you generate every possible word, you aren't getting any advantage
by using crack and not just trying every possibility in your cracker
itself. The whole point of trying english words is to try to reduce
the search space.  I would try to explain this to you, but it probably
isn't worth while.

Furthermore, generating every possible word is trivial -- its the sort
of assignment you give to kids in their first week of programming. No
one needs to be given such a program -- its only about four or five
lines of C.

> Why dont ya check out some realllyyy secure systems and find out what
> utils they use to test their own security.

Don't teach granpaw to suck eggs, sonny.

Perry