Netscape download requirements

Jeff Weinstein wrote:

>  We received written permission from the State Department for our
>download verification mechanism.

What exactly is the reason for Netscape asking for the name, address,
e-mail address, and telephone number of anyone who wishes to download
the US-browser? If I remember correctly MIT in distributing PGP only
asks that you affirmatively assent to obeying export laws (and the
terms of the rsa license).

I have not heard at any point that the MIT system does not meet the
legal requirements of ITAR. Is there perhaps some other reason
Netscape wishes to have this information?

--Julian Burke