Re: Netscape

Rich Graves writes:

:
: On Sat, 20 Jul 1996, Mark M. wrote:
: > On Sat, 20 Jul 1996, Tom Weinstein wrote:
: >
: > > Why not consider what the consequences will be?  Do you seriously
: > > believe that this will make the government stop enforcing ITAR?
: >
: > The government has yet to enforce ITAR.  The only thing they have been doin
: g
: > is threatening companies who make products with strong crypto.  If anyone w
: as
: > ever actually put on trial for a violation of ITAR, it would almost certain
: ly
: > be found to be unconstitutional.
:
: So do it. None of this anonymous bullshit, or trying to drag Netscape into
: it.
:
: I'd donate whatever I could to a Cypherpunk Legal Defense Fund. We only need
: one volunteer with a lot of time on his/her hands.
:

Fortunately one does not have to be prosecuted to test the
constitutionality of the ITAR as they apply to cryptography: the
Bernstein and Karn cases have already been brought and at least one
other is in the pipeline.  But no one seems to be setting up a Legal
Attack Fund to support such litigation.  Perhaps some of those active on
the cypherpunks list would be interested in creating and supporting such
a fund.  One would hope that those corporate interests who keep
complaining about how the ITAR cut into their potential profits would be
willing to contribute.

--
Peter D. Junger--Case Western Reserve University Law School--Cleveland, OH
Internet:  [email protected]    [email protected]