Cracking DES or building a DES cracking machine?

Hm,

If we are talking about convincing 100,000 people to donate a lot
of their CPU time, would not it be possible to convince the same
100,000 people to donate $10 each and build a $1,000,000 DES cracking
machine?

Then we can crack DES keys for a certain sum per key, without asking
any unnecessary questions. Profits can be donated to purchasing AK-47's
for poor preschool children or some similar charitable project.

	- Igor.