Re: Borders *are* transparent

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, Simon Spero wrote:

> Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:38:59 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Simon Spero <[email protected]>
> To: "Peter D. Junger" <[email protected]>
> Cc: Cypherpunks <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: Borders *are* transparent
>
> On Tue, 23 Jul 1996, Peter D. Junger wrote:
> >
> > I am afraid that the number of machines needed would trivialize even
> > the most non-trivial cash prize.  But for what its worth, I can give
> > you a lot of spare cycles on a couple of 486 Linux boxes.
>
> Not really - you just give the prize to the first person to return the
> correct key (just like a real lottery).

But who's money?

> BTW, if you use a central site to allocate ranges to search, this site
> should not know the correct key, as otherwise it could decide who gets
> the chocolate bar with the golden ticket.

Definatly.

> If this project is run, I can't see it getting a hit for at least six
> months unless its _really_ well promoted. The java approach would be a cool
> hook - a slowish applet for your web page with something along the lines of
>
>  "You may already have won 20c; whilst you're reading this page, your
> computer is playing the cypherpunks challenge. For a better chance of
> winning, download this free high performance screen saver and game piece."

Or better yet... use an applet and a cookie... you pass it a cookie, the
applet figures the processor type and runs a certain number of cracks,
(within a specified range, listed in the cookie) changes the cookie, and
returns it (that may or may not have been sarcasm ;)

 --Deviant
Whatever occurs from love is always beyond good and evil.
		-- Friedrich Nietzsche