New Internet

> Any sort of dialup service is pretty much going to
>  limit you to store-and-forward items.  Any full-time
>  links attempting to mesh "a few thousand"
>  users is going to quickly exceed my paltry $400K.

I agree... but I am also thinking that not one person is picking up the tab.

Undoubtedly some systems are going to go up and down also... so - at the
beginning - it could be like fidonet.  But hopefully it would be more than a
bunch of machines calling each other up an bursting information, some may
backbone for a while.