Re: Let's Say "No!" to Single, World Versions of Software

At 11:27 PM 8/1/96, David Lesher wrote:
>Tom Weinstein writes:
>
>> We only ship the domestic version to addresses inside the US.  They
>> State Department seems to think this is sufficient.  Of course, a
>> foreign person can always fly here and pick up a copy at Fry's, but
>> that's not our problem.
>
>Or just walk out of a Mission, and buy one on K Street.
>
>But it's easier to just get an account on an ISP.
>
>I recall several chats with a .nl UN Mission Staffer. He was on
>Panix or PSI or such. Maybe we should require proof of citizenship
>before granting a license to use IP.

I know some Russians, through various connections in the Valley. They
routinely stock up on software at Fry's, in Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, etc.,
load up their suitcases, and then fly back to Moscow. (Of course, the bulk
is not too great, because they only buy one copy of each program....)

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!