Re: Pipe bombs vs high explosives.

On Sat, 3 Aug 1996, James A. Donald wrote:

> Does anyone have any experimental information comparing an
> untamped high explosive with a pipe bomb?

> Homemade low explosives tend to be even more feeble
> than manufactured low explosives, because it is inadvisable
> for amateurs to recorn their powder, with the result that
> home made powders burn slow, whereas homemade high
> explosives are just as effective as manufactured high
> explosives.
>
> My theoretical expectation is that pipe bombs would be
> very ineffectual when compared to high explosives,
> especially using home made powders.

Flash powders are quite easy to make and deflagrate quickly enough to
cause quite a nice bang without any containment what so ever when set off
in amounts over about two tablespoons worth.

Start off with fine enough mesh Al powder and grind your oxidizer down
fine enough and all you need for proper mixing is a (static treated)
zip-lock bag.

Not that I would ever suggest that anyone try to manufacture such
mixtures, but they are plenty potent enough to match and exceed most
manufactured deflagrating powders.

--
I hate lightning - finger for public key - Vote Monarchist
[email protected]