Re: Public report of the EU crack.

At 12:12 AM 8/6/96, John C. Randolph wrote:
>Well, well, well!
>
>So we gain a several allies in our battle against key-escrow, and
>lo and behold, it's all the *other* governments who don't want
>Uncle Sam to read their mail.
>
>I hope that any c'punks in foreign countries can make some politcal
>hay with this: "Don't let the yankee imperialists tell us a goddamn thing
>about crypto policy!  They'll only use it to pull weasel moves in the
>trade talks!"
>
>Actually, it might be a good thing for Her Majesty's government to
>issue an advisory, saying not to buy US routers and encryption software,
>because it can't be trusted, under present US ITAR rules.

Agreed. The report was only surpising to me in that it appeared in
print...anyone who read Bamford in '82 knew this sort of economic espionage
was a major mission of the NSA and various private contractors.

On the subject of routers and sniffers, excuse me if I'm misremembering
things, but wasn't a certain anti-Mitnick hacker writing in one of his
books about his role in developing certain "packet sniffers" that had
properties desirable to the U.S. intelligence community? Perhaps the Brits
are just being "monitored" by the Colonials?

(If I sound paranoid, I just came from a showing of "Chain Reaction." Some
flaws, but also some good reminders about the dangers of the "black
budget," large listening posts in Virgina (and England and elsewhere), and
a U.S. government that now sits astride the world.)

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!