Re: FCC_ups

At 14:08 8/11/96, John Young wrote:
>   8-10-96. WaPo:
>
>   "Phone Service Via the Internet May Slash Rates."
>
>      Labs of Advanced Technology has developed a way for
>      people to make long-distance calls over the Internet
>      using only their telephones, at about half the price of
>      ordinary toll calls. Customers would merely call a
>      central number, then dial their long-distance numbers.
>      The call is carried on the Internet, then put back onto
>      the local phone system at its destination. The company
>      plans to charge 5 to 8 cents per minute for all domestic
>      U.S. calls, which represents a 50 to 75 percent discount
>      off most domestic long-distance rates.

I am glad to see some movement in this area. I designed a similar system
for a previous employer of mine. But the real choke point is the local
loop. As of this day, the local telos still have a de facto monopoly in the
local markets. The new competitors (the same old Phone Company) that we
will see in the near future seem to show no desire to deliver the really
interesting services that are now possible. They long distance carriers
about to enter the local markets plan to offer the same old stuff at a
(perhaps) somewhat lower price.

The company I used to work for has technology capable of delivering a 10
Mb/s Ethernet plus 100 ISDN B channels to your home, using the very same
wires already in your wall. Keep this in mind next time you hear what great
new services the local telcos are about to offer. Then demand better.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:[email protected]> PGP encrypted mail preferred.
   Defeat the Demopublican Unity Party. Vote no on Clinton/Dole in November.
   Vote Harry Browne for President.