Re: Hoax: A ban on cryptography?

At 2:37 AM 8/13/96, David Kennedy wrote:
>My mailer thinks the e$pam list pulled this from cypherpunks:

And I'll bet you're still looking for "Oceania" in your atlas?

This is one of the main reasons I hate it when my articles get "spammed" to
other lists, lists where people have no idea of who I am and no idea of my
sense of humor.

For the clueless, I simply took the "Defense Authorization" bill which had
been posted to Cypherpunks by [email protected] and replaced a few of the
words involving "explosives" with "cryptography." Oh, and I twiddled the
number of the bill to include "666." Finally, I even said "This may not be
real, but it could be" at the end.

Jeesh.

The worst part of having my stuff spammed, e-spammed, gurgitated, and
regurgitated is that I get letters from people saying "I saw this thing you
wrote on the Kangaroo Hopping List. What is "crypto"? Thanks a bunch,
dude."

Wake up.

And for those who forward my stuff, please include appropriate disclaimers
to your "spammees" that a) one should read things with an appreciation that
a post may be tongue in cheek, b) that back-spamming to another list is not
cool, and c) that I don't want to be bothered.

>>>                                             S.1666
>
> Department of Commerce Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1997 (Passed by the
> Senate) <<
>
>And this is bogus, and as far as I can tell not a typo, it's complete hokum.
>
>S.1666 is an obscure bill about courts in Utah.
>
>A search of http://thomas.loc.gov on "encryption" reveals the expected bills,
>PRO-CODE etc.
>
>A search for the DoC Authorization Act reveals nothing, as far as I can tell
>this bill has not been drafted let alone passed. I don't know enough about how
>the DoC is funded to know if they get their own Authorization Act or receive
>authorizations piecemeal and by the reconciliation.
>
>Again, this is bogus.
>
>!^NavFont02F02350014QGHHG|MG~HG85QG87HI}2126

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!