[off-topic] Locating cell phones with power off?

I seem to remember that somebody once mentioned that cell phones transmit
signal even with the power switch off. Supposedly, you have to take out the
batteries to cut the signal. The more I am thinking about it, the less
sense it makes. Can somebody here please confirm (or deny) this rumor?

TIA,

-- Lucky Green <mailto:[email protected]> PGP encrypted mail preferred.
   Defeat the Demopublican Unity Party. Vote no on Clinton/Dole in November.
   Vote Harry Browne for President.