Re: Anguilla - A DataHaven?

At 11:15 AM 8/15/96 +0600, you wrote:
>At 10:27 14/08/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:
>>* the role of physical vs. cyberspace data havens
>>3. Vince seems to be a in a somewhat precarious position, awaiting renewal
>>of a one-year work permit.
>
>I'm sure this has come up before, but what would prevent a server
>being located on a buoy or something at sea outside territorial
>limits (or when satellites become cheaper, on a satellite itself)
>offering such services?

Piracy.  Some pirates may have black Jolly Roger flags on their ships,
but most have flags that say "Coast Guard" or "Navy" or "Harbor Police",
and think they're protecting their National Security or something.
Satellite launching is generally somewhat government-controlled,
though you could get a remailer into space if you didn't tell the
government too much about it until it was launched.
The US apparently has restrictions on crypto capabilities of
satellites launched from the US, according to something I read on the
net once.  But I suppose you could launch a programmable satellite,
and then reprogram it by radio....

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 [email protected]
# <A HREF="http://idiom.com/~wcs"> 	Defuse Authority!