Re: Anguilla - A DataHaven?

At 10:27 AM 8/14/96 -0700, Tim wrote:
>* the role of physical vs. cyberspace data havens
> so I tended to view data havens as not being tied to physical communities
> where the local potentates could revoke work permits, visas,
> travel permits, business licenses, etc.

Agreed.  At least for now, banking havens are a different kind
of market than data havens - people want to be able to demonstrate
that activities are being run from Non-Taxing states, though there's
a parallel need for private data communications to hide any
connections back to a potentially more greedy state,
and perhaps to move money back home as well.

Data havens, on the other hand, may need public ports in tolerant
locations, but most of their business really needs to be
encrypted any way; the visible parts such as web pages
are only a small part of the game.  I suspect that, rather than
having fixed physical locations, they probably need to operate on a
Temporary Autonomous Zone basis, moving elsewhere when a jurisdiction
becomes unfriendly but mostly trying to avoid too much notice.

>What the form of these "cyberspace data havens" might take is unclear.
>Several pieces of technology are missing, just as they were missing four
>years ago when one of the early list members contacted me to tell me how
>easy it would be to set up a data haven with computers. (It wasn't easy
>then, and it ain't easy now. The pieces that are missing are the
>reifications of protocols we talk about a lot....mere encryption and
>authentication are only the starting points, and look at how hard it's been
>just to get _them_ deployed.)

Reification is one thing; developing business models and markets
is another, and making the activities visible so potential users can
_find_ data havens is a third.  There are some activities that
operate as temporary data havens today - child pornography, warez,
police Red Squad and blackmail files on citizens kept illegally on home
machines outside the public's control, and other unsavory groups that limit
the people who know about them.  Public data havens are a bit different.
Finding a reason to Just Do It means you either need a real threat model
or you end up becoming Yet Another Spam Server like many of the
remailers have been.

Some things we need to implement Data Havens -
1 - digicash or equivalent - it's coming, but it's not widely used,
and if you can't pay anonymously it's tough to pay for data havening
anonymously.
2 - practical temporary registration of connections - is hacking
a DNS server enough?  Or do we need IRC meetmes?  Not sure.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 [email protected]
# <A HREF="http://idiom.com/~wcs"> 	Defuse Authority!