Re: Anguilla - A DataHaven?

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Douglas R. Floyd wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Arun Mehta wrote:
> > > I'm sure this has come up before, but what would prevent a server
> > > being located on a buoy or something at sea outside territorial
> > > limits (or when satellites become cheaper, on a satellite itself)
> > > offering such services?
> > living periods, electrcity and communications are in place, They
> > are generally built outside of the territorial waters of most
> > countries to avoid any damage to the shorelines if oil spilled
> > (possibility for becoming its own country?) and with the hoops
> > that Shell Oil went through to please Greenpeace with its last
> > oil platform.  You have to wonder how cheap these could sell
> > for just to get them off the oil companies hands?
> (The machine crashed when I was writing this letter, so if cpunks got two,
> I apologize.)
> How would this rig be defended?

     .50 Machine guns on the decks, everyone on board capable of shooting
straight carrying at least a pistol and gas masks. The gas masks are for the
tear gas dispencers.

    Hire Vinnie?

    There are ways to make it inadvisable to attack the system. Blackmail
material is always a good thing.

> Pirates still exist.  Even if you can give them something to think about
> with a 30/06 bullet at their waterline, there are always small countries
> who have navies that can be hired.  They may be small and defenseless
> compared to the US navy, but against a basically unarmed oil rig, do have
> the ability to sink the rig at their whim.

     A couple of surplus wire guided missles might go a long way to disuading
them.

Petro, Christopher C.
[email protected] <prefered for any non-list stuff>
[email protected]