Key Length Correlation

I've read Blaze and diffie's paper on Semetric Key Length.  I'm currious
how semetric key length correlates to public key cryptography length.  Does
public key length have to be much longer, (assuming the algorithms are strong),
to provide the same level of security as a shorter semetric key?  TIA
--
According to John Perry Barlow:                       *What is EFF?*
"Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker." *email <[email protected]>*