Re: Key Length Correlation

Jeff Davis said:
> I've read Blaze and diffie's paper on Semetric Key Length.  I'm currious
> how semetric key length correlates to public key cryptography length.  Does
> public key length have to be much longer, (assuming the algorithms are strong),
> to provide the same level of security as a shorter semetric key?  TIA
> --

It's been calculated that in the case of PGP, to equal the work factor
to brute force the 128 bit IDEA key would require a RSA key > 3000 bits.

Someone probably has a reference.

--
Kevin L. Prigge                     | "I rarely saw people sitting at
Systems Software Programmer         |  computers producing real code