Re: Key Length Correlation

At  1:02 PM 8/20/96 -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
>I've read Blaze and diffie's paper on Semetric Key Length.  I'm currious
>how semetric key length correlates to public key cryptography length.  Does
>public key length have to be much longer, (assuming the algorithms are strong),
>to provide the same level of security as a shorter semetric key?  TIA

According to Applied Cryptography V2,

     Symmetric and Public-key Key Lengths
with Similar Resistances to Brute-Force Attacks

      Symmetric                Public-key
      Key Length               Key Length
       56 bits                  348 bits
       64 bits                  512 bits
       80 bits                  768 bits
       112 bits                 1792 bits
       128 bits                 2304 bits

Regards - Bill

Bill Frantz       | Cave ab homine unius lebri | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     |  [Beware the man of one    | 16345 Englewood Ave.
[email protected] |   book]  - Anonymous Latin | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA