HP supporting GAK, export controls

[Sorry, the last one went out without a subject]

HP is in the process of ramroding a pro-GAK, pro-export control
resolution through CommerceNet's public policy working group.

Here are the details.

HP is marketing several DES products that currently can not be sold
abroad. In order to be allowed to sell these products, HP is willing to
give the USG the following in return:

1.  Support by CommerceNet to have GAK built into the (inevitable)
domestic PKI. [Their presentation included the word "voluntary". When I
asked what was meant by that, I got the reply "There are many
interpretations of the word "voluntary"." Suffice to say there are
fundamental differences in what I mean by "voluntary" and what their
proposal would require the definition of "voluntary" to be.]

2.  Support by CommerceNet for export restrictions on stronger forms of
crypto than DES as well as restrictions on export of crypto for products
not directly related (in HP's opinion) to ecommerce, such as email.

This ill conceived attempt to use CommerceNet's clout as industry
organization to liberalize export rules on HP's products, and those of a
few other companies supporting HP in this effort, at a heavy cost to
everybody else, must be stopped. Please let HP know how you feel about
their initiative and encourage CommerceNet to adopt an anti-GAK,
anti-export control position.

--Lucky