Republican and Democratic party platforms on technology

============

Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 16:35:49 -0500
To: [email protected]
From: [email protected] (Declan McCullagh)
Subject: Republican and Democratic party platforms on technology
Sender: [email protected]

Attached is an excerpt from the GOP's 1996 platform, provided by a
Republican Senate staffer. All keystroking errors mine -- this plank
doesn't seem to have been nailed into the rnc.org web site yet.

While the Republicans certainly are no fast friends of online liberties --
recall Dole cosponsored an "anti-cyberporn" bill worse than the CDA --
they've been moving in the right direction on crypto. This plank shows that
as a party, they're starting to take online privacy seriously.

Let's see what the Democrats do at their convention. I've attached relevant
excerpts from the platform committee's report, but the only coherent theme
I found is increased government spending.

(Contrast both parties with the Libertarians, which have a sterling
commitment to online civil liberties, reflected in the platform approved at
their convention last month.)

-Declan

---

[The rest of the platform is at http://www.rnc.org/hq/platform96/]

                     The 1996 Republican Party Platform

     Excerpt: Science, Technology, and Innovation in the 21st Century

Our goal is to empower the American people by using the benefits of
advanced science to improve their quality of life without undue restraint
from government. Our bottom line is more jobs, better jobs, and a higher
standard of living for the families of America.

We believe the marketplace, not bureaucrats, can determine which
technologies best meet the needs of the public.

[...]

The communications revolution empowers individuals, enhances health care,
opens up opportunity for rural areas, and strengthens families and
institutions. A Dole-led Congress passed the Telecommunications Act of 1996
to promote the full and open competition and freedom of choice in the
telecommunications marketplace. In contrast, the Clinton-Gore
Administration repeatedly defended big-government regulation. This
micromanagement of the Information Age is contrary to America's Information
Super Highway.

We support the broadest access to telecommunications networks and services,
based upon marketplace capabilties. ***The Internet today is the most
staggering example of how the Information Age can and will enhance the
lives of Americans everywhere. To further this explosion of new-found
freedoms and opportunities, privacy, through secured communications, has
never been more important. Bob Dole and the Republican Party will promote
policies that ensure that the U.S. remains the world leader in science,
technology, and innovation.***

[Emphasis mine. --Declan]

---

http://www.democrats.org/party/convention/pltdft96-2.html

               The Report of the Platform Committee to the 1996
                        Democratic National Convention

                   Today's Democratic Party: Meeting
                    America's Challenges, Protecting
                              America's Values

                   THE 1996 DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL PLATFORM

[...]

Technology. We know investments in technology drive economic growth,
generate new knowledge, create new high-wage jobs, build new
industries, and improve our quality of life. In the face of Republican
efforts to undermine America's dedication to innovation, President
Clinton and the Democratic Party have fought to maintain vital
investments in science and technology. We remember that government
investment in technology is responsible for the computer, for jet
aircraft, and for the Internet -- no investments have ever paid off
better, in jobs, in opportunity, or in growth.

[...]

Technology in the classroom. We must bring the 21st century into every
classroom in America. There is a vast realm of knowledge waiting for
our children to tap into. Computers are powerful tools to teach
students to read better, write better, and understand math. President
Clinton and Vice President Gore understand that technological literacy
is essential to success in the new economy. The only way to achieve
that for every student is to give them all access to a computer, good
software, trained teachers, and the Internet -- and President Clinton
and Vice President Gore have launched a partnership with high-tech
companies, schools, state, and local governments to wire every
classroom and library to the Information Superhighway by the year 2000.

[...]

The Clinton Administration is working to put wanted lists of parents
who owe child support in the post office and on the Internet. President
Clinton and Democrats in Congress insisted that the toughest possible
child support enforcement be part of the new welfare reform plan --
including the President's plan to deny drivers licenses and
professional licenses to people who do not pay their child support.

###