Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

At 05:56 PM 9/3/96 -0800, jim bell wrote:

>"Addressed", maybe, but that doesn't necessarily mean, "solved."  For many
>decades, people have been able to walk up to a pay telephone at 3:00 AM and
>make a harassing phone call to somebody, a "problem" which still exists and
>no solution is being implemented for.
>
>I think it's reasonable to come to the conclusion that there is no solution
>to the anonymity "problem" that isn't worse than the underlying anonymity.
>And, BTW, I don't consider a pro-anonymity position to be an extremist one.

Yeah, the main point re. anonymity, IMO, is that you can't pretend that it's
all pro, no con. You have to acknowledge and think through the
negatives...and, as Tim May pointed out, that's already been done.

I don't think you oughtta ream somebody for pointing to the down side. That
you raise an issue should never be taken to imply that you've taken a
position, and it's vital to remain open to discussion and entertain
sentiments that oppose your own thinking.

--
Jon Lebkowsky <[email protected]>  FAX (512)444-2693  http://www.well.com/~jonl
Electronic Frontiers Forum, 6PM PDT Thursdays     <http://www.hotwired.com/eff>