Re: What is the EFF doing exactly?

Harassment in person when someone is shouting at you in the street,
spittle flying in your face, is one thing.

Online "harassment," I believe, is a problem that can be solved with
technical means. Don't like someone? Killfile them.

-Declan

On Wed, 4 Sep 1996, Jon Lebkowsky wrote:

> At 07:44 AM 9/3/96 -0700, James A. Donald wrote:
> >At 03:17 PM 9/3/96 -0700, Jon Lebkowsky wrote:
> >> Not necessarily. The character of the anonymous speech is decisive. If you
> >> use anonymity to cloak harassment, for instance, the anonymity (which
> >> removes accountability) is a problem.  The accountability issue is real and
> >> should be addressed, not evaded.
> >
> >No:  The harassment is the problem, not the anonymity that makes it
> >possible.
>
> The harassment is one problem, the lack of accountability another. Which is
> not to say that 'lack of accountability' should be 'fixed' by some sort of
> blanket restriction...but it should be acknowledged as a problem.
>
> --
> Jon Lebkowsky <[email protected]>  FAX (512)444-2693  http://www.well.com/~jonl
> Electronic Frontiers Forum, 6PM PDT Thursdays     <http://www.hotwired.com/eff>
> "No politician can sit on a hot issue if you make it hot enough."--Saul Alinsky

// [email protected] // I do not represent the EFF // [email protected] //