Re: DL in exchange for fingerprint

Timothy C. May wrote:

> At 9:13 PM 9/19/96, Gary Howland wrote:
> >Timothy C. May wrote:
> >>
> >> (Yes, I disliked being thumb-printed, but I could see no viable
> >> alternative. I'm sure Duncan has some scheme to declare himself a Botswanan
> >> exchange student, but I decided being thumb-printed was the lesser hassle.)
> >
> >Sure, it's always less hassle doing what they want.  Privacy doesn't
> >come for free.  It's easier to let the police search you in the street
> >than it is to make them arrest you so that you can make a formal
> >complaint.
>
> So, just what it is _your_ method of dealing with this? While it is noble
> to talk about fighting the system, just how do you go about doing it
> yourself?

Use your imagination.  (hint: Do all states require thumbprints for
DLs?)

> (This space reserved for your lecture about how I need to be prepared to go
> to jail to defend my right not to be thumbprinted, etc. On second thought,
> why don't you be the one to go to jail, and then you can let us know your
> experiences.)

I have never seen the logic in this approach.  Sure, if it's relatively
easy to make a protest, then I'll do it, but going to jail out of
principle is certainly more hassle for me than for "them". I would
sooner demonstrate the futility of what they are trying to do, whether
it be censorship or prohibition.

> >Hmm - who are you paraphrasing here? (Just curious).
>
> "What part of "No" don't you understand?"

Who said it?

Gary
--
"Of course the US Constitution isn't perfect; but it's a lot better
than what we have now."  -- Unknown.

pub  1024/C001D00D 1996/01/22  Gary Howland <[email protected]>
Key fingerprint =  0C FB 60 61 4D 3B 24 7D  1C 89 1D BE 1F EE 09 06