Re: White House crypto proposal -- too little, too late

At 02:57 PM 10/1/96 -0700, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> [...]

An import restriction would be even less effective than the current export
restrictions.  With an import restriction, a person need merely receive a
given piece of software in the mail from an "unknown" benefactor, software
that (surprise!) would have been illegal to import.  (the software doesn't
even have to be mailed from outside the US, merely trucked in by a wetback
and anonymously mailed by tossing it into the ubiquitous USnail PO Box.)
Redistribution of this software would have to be legal, if for no other
reason than nobody could prove it was imported illegally.  Nobody outside
the US would have any standing to sue for copyright violation, because they
couldn't import it and sell it without restrictions.

Jim Bell
[email protected]