"Macintosh -- the Surveillance System for the Rest of Us

At 1:17 PM -0700 10/3/96, Lucky Green wrote:
>On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:
>> I think we should support Microsoft and Netscape in their nonparticipation
>> in the Cabal. Sometimes being an 800-pound gorilla has its advantages.
>
>Indeed we do need to support Netscape and <sigh> Microsoft as long as
>they oppose GAK.
>
>--Lucky, who meant to buy a new PowerBook 5300 for his girlfriend this
>week and who now will get her a Win95 machine because of Apple's support for
>GAK. I'm glad I didn't buy it yet. Apple, are you listening?

GAK, or Girlfriend's Access to Keys, is indeed a very scary thing.

"Macintosh, the Surveillance System for the Rest of Us."

(Why Apple would go along with this, while Microsoft and Netscape are
apparently not playing ball, is incomprehensible to me. Apple risks
alienating its remaining core user base, who often characterize Microsoft
as "the Borg." So, Apple capitulates, while MS does not. I guess the
"Macintosh Crypto Forum" didn't do a lot of good, did it?)

--Tim

"The government announcement is disastrous," said Jim Bidzos,.."We warned IBM
that the National Security Agency would try to twist their technology."
[NYT, 1996-10-02]
Higher Power: 2^1,257,787-1 | black markets, collapse of governments.